How To Sell An Out Of Province Car In BC
You can sell an out of province vehicle (car, truck, SUV, van, hybrid or electric vehicle) in BC but it will be a more difficult process. In this article we will discuss the steps you can take to make selling a used vehicle in BC an easy process.
The vast majority of private buyers and dealerships will want your car to be registered in BC before they buy the vehicle. This may not always be possible so we recommend getting a recent Out Of Province Inspection Report as the first step.
You can get an Out Of Province Inspection Report at many licensed mechanic shops including Canadian Tire.
At Cash For Cars BC we buy out of province cars, trucks, SUVs, vans, hybrid and electric vehicles all the time. We make the process of selling an out of province vehicle safe and easy. And best of all nobody pays more cash for used vehicles of all types.
You can download an Out Of Province Vehicle Inspection Report here.
Final Steps For Selling an Out of Province Vehicle in BC:
There are several additional steps you will have to complete before the sale of an out of province vehicle can be completed. At Cash For Cars BC we can handle all of this paperwork for you.
- Pick up a Transfer/Tax Form (APV9T) from any Autoplan broker. Due to COVID-19, the Transfer/Tax Form (APV9T) is temporarily available for download.
Please note that all four pages must be complete and original signatures are still required.
- Remove your licence plates from the vehicle you’re selling.
- Remove your insurance and registration. The insurance and registration are actually two parts of the same document (APV250).
- Tear off (carefully please!) the bottom, vehicle registration portion.
- Give the registration to the buyer, making sure it has your signature on it. (It must be the original registration, not a photocopy.)
- After you’ve been paid, fill out and sign the Transfer/Tax Form in full. Each of the four pages must have original signatures.
- To complete the transfer, take the registration and Transfer/Tax Form to an Autoplan broker. We strongly recommend going together with the buyer to ensure that the registration transfer is processed in a timely manner and that your name and any insurance and licence products are removed from the vehicle registration record. This is important in avoiding any possible liability claims associated with the future operation of the vehicle by the purchaser. If you cannot visit the Autoplan broker with the buyer, keep the seller’s copy (with original signatures from both you and the seller) for your records.
- Remember to cancel your insurance or transfer it to a new vehicle.